Friday 20 January 2006

Test how strong your password is



I've said this before and I'll say it again. Passwords are like Internet signatures that have the power to do a lot of things and it very very important. Interestingly Microsoft (I think it was an accident, ;) ) came up with an excellent tool called Password Checker. Yes this is the same password checker that you see when you sign up for a new hotmail (now Windows Live Mail) account and it tells you how strong your password is. All you do is go to the Password Checker page and type in your password, and it tells you how strong your password is. No registration, no elaborate process.

This is excellent! I wonder how come I couldn't think of that before. It says that it won't store any data, but just to be safe, just enter a similar password. If password checker says that your password isn't safe, then you might want to take a look at my passwords tips post.

Since I know about that right now, I'm working on my very own version like this called password checkR (you know why the R is that right? :D ). Now it won't be as good as what microsoft has to offer, probably created with JavaScript, and will only protect you from dictionary attack and so on, but just check back if you are curious to use it.

Until then... happy password creating
, , , ,




Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to beyondteck+question@gmail.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment