Friday 3 March 2006

RIM and NTP dispute ends



RIM (a company based in Waterloo, Ontario), was being sued by NTP for the BlackBerry, and the court case was just going on and on. Apparently a settlement has now been reached between the two disputing companies..
RIM has paid NTP $612.5 million in a “full and final settlement of all claims,” the companies said.
Well, I'm not sure if this is good news or not for share holders, however the price did go up in the shares according to this article. For now I guess all we can say is, time will tell.

I'm not sure why RIM didn't know about infringement of NTP's patents, but somehow NTP managed to sue RIM for their extremely effective and useful BlackBerry. Even though the case only affects US customers I'm sure it has an effect on Canadian stocks as well! Now RIM is promising to create new software so that they don't infringe the patents but I'm not so sure whether they will do is soon enough. The BlackBerry is a big thing in the consumer world and personally I know a lot of people who use if for everyday work, so turning things around on such a big scale is definitely a big task.

NTP apparently also got a chunk of RIM's stocks, which might mean that RIM's stocks might be going somewhere in the near future, hopefully they are going to rise (so that I can make some extra profit on my shares assignment!)




Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to beyondteck+question@gmail.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!

1 comment: