Monday 3 April 2006

Strange Falling Sensation



Well I'm sure that I'm not the only one (definitely sure after reading the article) who experiences 'the strange falling sensation' while sleeping. In-fact I was thinking about that today itself when I was falling asleep. Pretty interesting to know how it happens.
This strange falling sensation and muscle twitch is known as a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch or 'hypnic jerk' If this has happened to you on more than one occasion, don't worry, you are not alone. Close to 70 percent of all people experience this phenomenon just after nodding off, according to a recent study at the Mayo Clinic.
It usually happens while I'm tired (after not sleeping for about 20 hours or so) and when my muscles are sore from playing a lot of soccer. I used to think that it was just something that the brain was recalling from your falls whenever you fell, because they do seem to be quite exactly how you might have experienced it in real life. Oh well I guess there's nothing that you can do about it, except think about it after you get up... heh now I can safely sleep knowing that I am not falling down from a 1000 story building in real life.




Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to beyondteck+question@gmail.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment