Monday 7 May 2007

Common rules every website author must follow



Ok so I posted a screen shot of the fascinating Google layout on a post a couple of days ago. Funny thing, it actually got on Techcrunch. Well, whats interesting is, why? It even got on Digg too. All for a layout... what is this world coming to. But the part that confuses me the most is they pretty much copy my post, get all the attention and then just put a link back to me. What happened to the policy of asking the author first about "using their screen shots for monetary purposes". Just because you found it on my blog it doesn't mean you get to copy it. It's public domain yes, but still, I find it just wrong for tech crunch to do that. I didn't even get a e-mail from tech crunch that they had "stolen my screen shots and topic". It wasn't until Parm from Techfare told me about it, that I realized it was "featured" on TechCrunch. Please techcrunch guys, inform me before you take my content. Oh and next time, if you are wondering if I photoshopped something don't hesitate to ask, I think it's better, before you go on to call me a photoshopped screenshots maker

To be honest, I don't really mind if anybody steals my content/pictures/ideas/whatever. But it bugs me to think about what others might think when something like this happens to them. I'm certain they are going to be infuriated when they learn that a big blog is making all the money from their post, and they don't even get notified about it.




Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to beyondteck+question@gmail.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious, how is the image public domain? I don't notice a public domain notice on your site. To my knowledge, you still own the copyrights to everything you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Great site. You're now subscribed in my Google Reader. The bright-side to this is that your link on Techcrunch brought you at least 1 regular reader :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should take some bucks from TechCrunch. ;)
    Go 4 it!

    ReplyDelete