Sunday 16 March 2008

How to immitate the immaculate desktop on a Mac



Having a immaculately super clean desktop for me means that I can concentrate on the task at hand without being distracted by the little icons and links that I constantly keep adding to my desktop.

Of course, taking all these links and documents and placing them in a folder makes as much sense as taking the book you are reading and putting it in a drawer and removing it out again when you fell like reading it doesn't really work. Instead it causes the 'out of sight is out of mind phenomena to occur' – not a good thing.

So after a bit of searching and pondering I think I've found the perfect application to help me focus on one thing at a time and no, it's not WriteRoom, since tasks also deal with creating presentations and designing graphics (did I mention editing movies?).

When I was reading an article on how to take great screenshots on a mac (I tend to forget the keyboard shortcuts quite often) I came across this gem of a application called backdrop. All this app does is puts a layer of colour on top of your desktop so that you can take screenshots more easily and effeciently. However, it can also be used to make the desktop look more clean for a short amount of time. I think its a great way to only keep the application you are working with active and at the same time not get distracted by the oh so interesting webclips/files/pictures and other stuff that I tend to keep on my desktop.

Oh and another tip if you're on Leopard and find the shiny... oohh shinny.. did I mention its very reflective too.. my icons look so glossy... dock really distracting. Just press Command+Option+D and the dock will automatically hide itself. Or if you're too lazy to locate the command key you can just right click on the dock and click hide. Pretty neat huh? (pun intended)

Heres a screenshot of my extremely clean desktop. Not bad, if I can say so myself.





Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to beyondteck+question@gmail.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment