It's called xMod, and it's a small, free utility that can do a lot of things. You can find a whole list of stuff it does on their website, but here's a list of things I find interesting:
- It can repair permissions to make sure everything is fine on the OS X file system. (Yes, I know, disk utility can do this too.. but xMod can do so much more!)
- It can check the SMART status of your Disks, and tell you if your hard drive is about to fail (hah. and you thought computers couldn't have fortune tellers)
- It can verify preference files (these are the settings and so on for the applications on your Mac) and find out if there are any errors in them
- It can tweak finder and it's appearance. It can also tweak screen capture settings and menubar styles. Plus, it can also make your screensaver as your desktop wallpaper! (Sort of like Windows DreamScene, but it takes up too many resources on your computer and will slow you down, so I'd recommend that you only have your screensaver as your desktop wallpaper when you aren't doing any actual "work" on your mac)
- It can change the appearance of your OS X dock to make it a 3d dock or a 2d dock
- It can disable dashboard
- It can Enable 'Sticky' mode for Dashboard widgets (so you can drag them on to your desktop if you wish)
- It can:
- Enable/Disable Spaces
- Add dock spacers
- Remove Dead tracks from iTunes
- Change a whole load of Disk utility/Address Book/Expose/ Terminal/Safari Options!
Got a question, tip or comment? Send them to email@example.com and we'll try to answer it in a blog post!